Friday, December 16, 2005

An Advent Retreat

From the Rector
Sunday through Wednesday this week I participated in an Advent retreat at Washington National Cathedral. Called Christ-Dayspring of Wisdom, it was led by our Presiding Bishop, the Most Rev. Frank Tracy Griswold, and two of the canons (assistant clergy) of the Cathedral.

The event allowed me to connect two significant strains of my 20 year journey of ordained life. I was ordained by Bishop Griswold in the Diocese of Chicago and initially served there. For nine years I was in Washington working for Canterbury Cathedral (in England) and serving at Washington National Cathedral. The retreat allowed me an opportunity to consolidate experiences and to reflect on where I am and, to a small extent, where I am going.

With the release of the Profile of the Diocese of Newark last Thursday, the retreat was exceptionally well-timed. I can't really claim superior planning as I had committed to the retreat long before I knew when the Profile would be completed. But that's God for you. I had a good and much-needed opportunity to slow my pace and refocus after a very demanding experience co-chairing the small committee writing that document.

I was grateful for being able to re-connect with a small circle of people who mean so much to me from my Washington days - people with whom my spirit strongly resonates. When I left Washington I really said "good-bye" in order to be fully in my new place - but I realize that at least a few relationships have persisted in being important and lively; I'm grateful for that awareness and the opportunity to re-establish conversation. Aren't the best relationships often the ones you can pick up where you left off - even after years?

Bishop Griswold's retreat addresses were rich and powerful. He constantly urges listeners to embrace God's authentic presence in the world unveiled - and points to relationship with God in times of both joy and stuggle (consolation and desolation are the "technical" terms). Who can know where God will lead? We can discover the path only in giving ourselves to God wholly - and then actively engaging the journey in faith, by God's surprising grace.

Soon I was back at St. Mark's sprinkling ice-melt on the sidewalks for our Thursday evening meetings as the sleet and freezing rain began. The mundane never waits - but is never the whole story.

No comments:

Post a Comment